Bay Area Teachers Center
About Us Courses Contact Us FAQ

Students in the BATC Single-Subject Preliminary Credential Program are eligible for financial aid through the San Francisco State Financial Aid office. Financial Aid generally is granted in the form of Federal Pell Grants, Federal TEACH Grants, and Stafford Direct Loans. For more information see the SFSU Office of Student Financial Aid.

If you are a teacher willing to meet certain requirements for your first five years of teaching there are several loan forgiveness programs. Depending on a variety of factors, you can receive up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness. See the Department of Education Federal Student Aid website for details.

San Francisco State University Financial Aid Office
The Financial Aid Office at San Francisco State University offers a variety of grants, scholarships, and educational loans to eligible candidates. In order to determine eligibility for Financial Aid, a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be completed and filed with the federal processor for FAFSA. You can file a FAFSA over the internet at instead of using the paper form.

After the Financial Aid Office at SFSU has received and reviewed your eligibility data from your FAFSA, a Financial Aid Offer Letter will be mailed to you detailing the types and amounts of Financial Aid dollars available to you. If you decide to accept any Financial Aid offered by SFSU, remember to make a copy of the Financial Aid Offer Letter for the Bay Area Teachers Center and your files.

Americorps Educational Grant
If you have already earned an AmeriCorps Educational Grant ($4,725), you may use your AmeriCorps Educational Grant to pay for your tuition for the BATC/SFSU Single Subject Credential Program. You will need to establish a file with the Financial Aid Office at SFSU, so that your AmeriCorps Voucher can be properly processed. If you have any questions about processing your AmeriCorps Voucher, please contact Barbara Hubler, Financial Aid Counselor at SFSU at [email protected] or (415) 338-2611.

Professional Development Funds from your school
Some schools may allocate a portion of their budget for Professional Development for teachers. The amount of Professional Development money available to teachers will vary from school to school. Please contact the appropriate person at your school to determine if you are eligible for any Professional Development funds.

These are just a few of the common Financial Assistance Resources available to you as you pursue a Single Subject Credential with the Bay Area Teachers Center and San Francisco State University. Please check for other sources of Financial Assistance for which you may qualify.

Single Subject Credential

Credential Courses

Admission Requirements

Financial Assistance
"Although the year was pretty intense, I was able to make it. I don't think that I could've felt as good about the whole experience without the help of the BATC."

- Kevin Harrington, Teacher